The Tech is the most amazing place!

On the outside the Tech is a splendid example of late Victorian architecture: inside it is warm and welcoming.

Yes, it is shabby and needs a lot of work but we are working hard to bring it up to modern day standards, knowing it has so much potential.  We intend it to be the place to go for arts, learning, wellbeing and enterprise: Holmfirth's creative hub. 

The more the building is used, the quicker we will be able to make improvements to the rooms.  Here is more information about the rooms and our plans.

We would be delighted to show you around and discuss how you can help us achieve our vision.




The Tech is the new name for this iconic building.  It was most recently known as Holmfirth Adult Education Centre but most people know it as The Tech

The idea of having a Technical Institute in Holmfirth was first proposed in 1890 as there was a ”great need for further facilities beyond the ordinary provision of elementary schools”.  The cost of the building work and furnishing was around £4,000.  Donations were made by Mr James Marsden, local mill owners and gentry and the Honourable Company of Cloth Workers which donated £250.  Local people also contributed. 

The foundation stone was laid in 1892 and the building opened in May 1894.  Originally, weaving, dyeing and modelling rooms were in the basement, a science lecture room, a designing classroom, a  conversation room, a library, museum and reading room on the ground floor and art rooms, an examination and lecture hall and chemical laboratory on the first floor.

In 1907, the Technical Institute was converted into a secondary school and in the 1960s it became a Further Education College.  Eventually ownership transferred to Kirklees College and the building used for adult education purposes but as the public funding for this form of learning changed, the Centre’s use declined, leaving behind many happy memories of enjoyable learning and firm friendships.

In 2011, Kirklees College announced its intention to close the AEC but relented in response to the public outcry.  However, despite the effort of local people to find alternative uses for the building, the College decided to mothball it about three years later.  Since then, apart from very occasional use by the Film Festival, the building has stood empty and unused.  

This all changed in 2018 when a group of local people put a business case to Kirklees College and set up Holmfirth Tech Ltd, an exempt charitable community benefit society, with the intent of bringing the building back Holme.  Since then, the use of The Tech  has continued to grow. 




For all enquiries:

Phone: 01484 686305

Email: bookings@holmfirthtech.co.uk


Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software