The Charity Commission has finally responded to our representation and those of 50 Holmfirth people who expressed their concerns about the future of The Tech.
We are extremely grateful to Thelma Walker and all the other people who contacted the Charity Commission on our behalf. Thelma said:
“I have supported both parties during recent negotiations and have spoken personally to the Charity Commission to try and speed up the decision making, but I am exceptionally disappointed by the College’s decision to serve notice to vacate the premises before the Charity Commission had made a final decision. I urged the College to urgently reassess its position and consider at the very least extending the licence until the Charity Commission gave their final view on the matter. Now this has been received, it’s time to talk again.”
We are also very grateful to the many people who have responded to our Facebook page and raised objections to the public notice. In two days we reached over 13,000 people!
The Parish Council also deserves our thanks for its support. Councillor Paul Davies said “Holmfirth Tech is an important community asset, standing at the gateway to the Town Centre. The loss of this facility will have a serious impact on local people and will damage the town centre’s vitality and viability. Kirklees College still has the chance to do the right thing for the local community, so I ask the Board of Governors to rescind its eviction decision and re-open discussions about the transfer the property to Holmfirth Tech Ltd so that last year’s success can act as the foundation for a new future for this much loved local building.”
The Charity Commission’s response has given us a basis to restart discussions with the College about the best way of meeting the Charity Commission’s requirements. We are very keen to find a mutually acceptable way of transferring the building and hope to meet with the College very soon. We know that all the users and our other supporters are keen to know what is going to happen in the Autumn to their Tech.
However, we are now in the midst of the holiday season and there are still a number of complicated matters to be sorted out. Therefore, we will be asking the College to withdraw its eviction notice and allow us to use the Tech for a further six months. This should give us time to work our way through the various options open to us.
If you would like to add your voice to our request to the College please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org